Thursday, December 23, 2010

Maybe The Most Important Song Ever

Music has been such a crucial aspect of life for me.

I think it's fair to say that who I am as a person has a lot to do with the influence of the bands I was listening to when I was 14; ready to decide what my core values would be:

Social Awareness/Unity
Humor
Female Radness
haha... take a wild guess!
And so many others... so many songs were able to strike just that perfect chord (literally and figuratively) to really resonate. Like, just by listening I could be a part of something bigger than me.

But there's more to life than punk rock.

I still cherish my Salt N Pepa, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, and pretty much any song ever written in the 90's.

Yes, I fully admit to being stuck in the 90's, musically.

But after I found roller derby, it became the new bigger-than-me that I could really obsess over. And learn about life through.

All that said, I think the most important song ever written might just be....

"The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers.

(Originally by Don Schlitz, also covered by Johnny Cash. Seen here with... Creepy Muppets!)




Skip to 2:20 when the novelty of Muppets starts to turn creepy...

Anywho, IMO this song is pretty crucial in its poker analogy that life (and derby) is a game.

And in every aspect of it, you've gotta learn how to read the cards (signs) and see when you're doing the right thing and when you need to change your course.

That's nice and cryptic, isn't it?

Well, that's how I'm rolling with this particular blog.  (<------ still a weird word!)

But it's a subject I'll be revisiting time and again, I promise you that! Feel free to comment on your own relation to the idea or song, though!

Have a super rad day today!!!




Here's my parting gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment