Thursday, December 30, 2010

And That's Why They Call Her A "Saint"

I'm gonna start this post with a quick disclaimer that I'm not Catholic. I was raised for a short time in the Catholic church, before I was asked to leave CCD.

True story: I was kicked out of the Catholic Church!

For Telling a priest to fuck off?

Pissing in the holy water?
 
No, young Bonnie's crime was laughing too much in class. Pure blasphemer that I was. So that's what this tattoo on my left arm is all about:
Sadly, 12 years later... it looks more like an alarming birthmark than this picture.
Now, all that said....


This woman's appearance may not look overly inspiring on the surface...

But she wrote some of the most moving words I've ever read. So this blog is about sharing that with you. I don't know if my interpretations are exactly as she meant them, but nonetheless:


"People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
...Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway."

-Mother Theresa

And if you're wondering what all this has to do with roller derby.... Well, read it again!

Truest words I ever read. So applicable to roller derby in so many ways!!!

Unlike this picture, which has nothing to do with roller derby. But it's cute!

A skater that I've always respected said something to me recently that made me feel sick inside. She said, "The best man doesn't always win." As a justification for the cut-throatiness of business.


I don't know if I'll ever see her the same way after that.

I would like to encourage people to choose, instead of accepting what is and allowing it to sour you... To take the high road and live from inspiration of what could be, and will be, if we keep working at it.


All religious zealousness aside, Mother Theresa's a pretty inspiring figure for these words. I've been affected by them since I first read 'em years ago.

That said... I'm still a blasphemer who likes to laugh a lot, so I'm gonna post these funny pix of Ma Theresa that I found while searching for the dignified one!




Have a rad day today!!! Here's my parting gift:

No comments:

Post a Comment