Wednesday, January 26, 2011

If I Promise To Miss You, Will You Go Away?

Last time Henry Rollins was on a spoken word tour that stopped at 4th and B, Matt and I went to see him.

Of all the funny/interesting things he said, there was one that stood out to me the most.

And that was that we're all completely walking contradictions on some level.

This really rang true, and I'm certainly no exception. For instance, an example of this that seems to throw a lot of people off...


I am a lover. I have the instinct to truly cherish people. I mean, loving, nurturing, empowering encouragement...

I bring all that to the table, in spades.



But, like a mother wolf, I also have the instinct to be completely cold and cut off a sick member of the pack.

I want them to go off and die alone in the woods, so they don't infect the rest of my pack with their disease.


That's how I am in my personal life, anyways.

If someone's presence isn't healthy, I won't have them around me. And it doesn't really matter who they are or how long I've known them, I have the ability to cut cords like that.

Even when it's hard/harsh.


Roller derby dynamics, however, make this a tricky, don't they?

I've seen the signs of the occasional toxic person, tried to reach them with a heart to heart, they've proven unreachable. (I don't just try once, see  my Conflict Resolution Series.)
At this point I'm ready to cut someone off, consider them non-existant and go about my life. 

But it's weird when they don't... go away...


Sorry, I haven't found a definitive solution to this!

I had to struggle with having to see a bitter face 2-3 times/week (FOR YEARS!) and wonder why someone would wanna go through life with little to no self reflection?

 

But... I guess that being forced to continue to see and interact with people you don't like is just part of life. In the end, it does seem to make you a better person, doesn't it?

A wise Derby Doll, Micki Dagger, coined the phrase "emotional endurance" and I think that applies here.

Do u really need a reason to post a picture like this?
In the end, with roller derby, you take the bad with the good. 

And just keep going, no matter how many sick wolves are in the pack, because of how much you love (and have to learn from) the healthy ones.

And unpleasant vibes won't kill you. But they might just make you stronger!


At this point you may be wondering if I'm one of those wolf t-shirt wearing people. 

And... your answer would be yes.  : ) 


If you have encouraging stories on this subject, feel free to share. But let's keep it constructive, and anonymous with names please.

You have a rad day today!!!  Here's my parting gifts!











If you wanna get a wolf shirt... that has my face on it... Wicked Skatewear can help you with that!

http://wickedskatewear.com/wolfmaiden.aspx
http://wickedskatewear.com/wolfmaiden.aspxhttp://wickedskatewear.com/wolfmaiden.aspx



No comments:

Post a Comment