Thursday, January 6, 2011

Icanhas Raw Enthusiasm?

San Diego Derby Dolls was started with this frame of mind:
 I didn't really know what I was doing, and I didn't really care. I was amped! Like, all the time.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, cuz I'd think about how rad my league was gonna be and my heart would be pumping at a million beats/second!

In the meantime, though... there were some things to figure out. Like... where would we skate? Oh, and how was I gonna get skaters?
I didn't dwell on this kind of stuff, just kind of went for it.

First I started a Yahoo Group. Here was one of my first messages on it:

I'm Bonnie, I live in Oceanside!

I've been skating with the LA Derby Dolls for almost 2 years. If I had
to rate my skate level on 1-10... I'd say I'm an 8 1/2.

I usually take the train to LA about 2-4 times a week to skate on the
banked track. We all started out at a roller rink and that's where
you'll start too!

Looks like Tues, Fri, Sat and Sun are good days to get in some
practice! Who's in for what days/times?

*BonnieD*

Humility, FYI, is a trait I gained later in my 20's. I was 24 when I started the league.

Anywho, the skaters were coming mostly from the daily treks to the computer center/Craigslist posts I was making every day.
  OK, skaters: check!

I found the skating rink that was most central in San Diego. (Now there's only one left, but at the time there were actually options!) Looked like things were gonna be off and rolling!
My main challenge at the time was not getting a league started, but keeping it all under wraps from everyone I knew (except for Matt) so I wouldn't have to deal with a barrage of questions that I didn't know how to answer...
Fortunately, between work, going to LA all the time, and spending the max time allowed at the computer center (2 hours/day), I wasn't around anyone long enough to be asked much!
Taking the train to LA allowed for some serious time spent visualizing SDDD's future... I feel bad for the folks who had to smell me on my way home from practice, though...
 Now we just had to meet for our first practice...

Have a super rad day today!!! Here's my parting gifts:

And don't forget your pants today!

No comments:

Post a Comment