Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DIY? No no no.... YDI! (You Do It)

I love to travel!

Something about traveling always brings about the best inspirational ideas. Like, sometimes you have to get away from your ordinary environment to have extraordinary ideas.

In the spring of 2005 I went on a trip to Florida w/Matt.


During the days we went to the Keys and did touristy things, but when we got to his Mom's house at night, I was on the computer.

This is when I'd had the idea to start another Derby Dolls league in San Diego.

Partly to expand the Derby Dolls empire-to-be, but also so I wouldn't have to drive all the way to Los Angeles to skate anymore!


Here's the thing, though... I wasn't suggesting I start it, I was suggesting Demo and Thora start it... and that the LADD coach should also coach in San Diego too...

This is one of those optical illusion/picture in a picture things. U see it?

And that's when I learned what really made Derby Dolls work. Don't get me wrong, I'd spent time with Demo, I knew she worked hard.

I knew there were people who had meetings after practice about... things...


But I didn't really get it.

Like most people when they first start, I was too absorbed in my personal experience to notice there was a bigger picture than me happening all the time.


I guess I felt like I was off the hook because I had to drive for 2-3 hours just to be there. So what more could you ask of me??

Now, after years of reflection, I can see that the fact that I wasn't contributing to the overall workload, just showing up and skating fabulously... probably one reason why I got treated with a bit of
from other skaters who were doing double duty with league jobs.

But I more than made up for it by opening my mouth (well, typing with my fingers?) this new bright idea... Next thing I knew I was a league Founder... which I'll tell you all about next time.

Hope you have a tremendously rad day today!!! 
Here's my parting gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment