Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Roller Derby Coach Coaching: PART TWO

Coach Coaching Disclaimer:

There are just as many different styles of coaching as there are personality types. I'm sharing what works for me, and by no means saying it's the only way. 

It's the best way for me, you may be different.


That said, here's my basic philosophy on coaching:

When I put the whistle on, I'm clocking in. I don't need to be anybody's friend or favorite person. 

My intention is to impart information efficiently; and the ethic that roller derby (in that moment) is the most important thing in the entire world. We can be friends after practice is over.

About 10 minutes into nearly every training camp I coach, you feel the strange energy shift in the room. 

Everyone was so excited a minute ago, now they're on the ground doing planks. Or push-ups. Or squats. Maybe lunges?

And I'm patiently explaining it's not a punishment, it's a gift and you can almost hear everyone thinking collectively; 

Hey, I thought she was into magic, sparkles, and kittens... what's happening here?"


In truth, I'd rather not have to give out so many plank, squat, and push-up gifts. 

That would be amazing. It would mean that everyone has the mentality of a professional athlete, ready to show the highest respect to their coach through intense discipline and focus on the moment.


But the truth is, not everyone knows how to be a good student, right away.

As coach, that's your job to impart. Can't take all the talking and giggling while you're coaching personally. Just have to redirect everyone and teach them a better way to get the most out of their time.



So teaching that is usually my first lesson.


So the very first rule I have is:

Do not to start talking until everyone else has stopped. 

That sounds so simple, but I see coaches in every city just walk into a noisy room and start talking! And then they wonder why a) nobody listens  b) nobody respects their authority.


I don't do this because I'm starving for attention, or authority.

In fact, if I were to think about it like people paying attention to me, I'd *probably* freak out and stammer over every word. 

When I coach, though, it's not about me. It's about roller derby.

It's a fine, but important distinction.

The reason everyone needs to pipe down is so we, as a group, can focus our group intention on raising our collective potential through the sport of roller derby.


That kind of magic just doesn't happen when there's side conversations and shenanigans going on.

So, as coach, I consider it my first priority to make it clear that I'm there to impart information and an ethic that roller derby, in that moment, is the most important thing in the world.

And we can totally be friends after practice is over!









Part 3 next time.... 

Have a super mind blowingly focused special magical cuter than a kitten RAD day today!!!
Parting gifts:







For more info on my coaching and background, CLICK HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment