Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Roller Derby Coach Coaching: PART ONE

What I'm about to do here is drop a bunch of my hard earned wisdom, inspirational, and informational resources to help out the coaches of roller derby worldwide.

With a quick disclaimer that 
a) I'm still learning every day  
b) I've learned as much from making mistakes as I have from inspiration.


But first things first. Here's my background on why I do what I do.

And some boundaries.


The reason I share so much with the derby community is because I believe in roller derby.  My logic:


I believe that having roller derby as an athletic outlet for women (and men!) helps us deal with our natural aggression.

And that making it a professional sport would provide much needed/much lacking positive, relate-able, role models for young girls (and boys! though girls I'm much more concerned about) in mainstream media.

And that the spreading of information helps us grow as a sport, raises the bar faster, gets us professional sooner.

So I'm all about sharing!


That said...

To my knowledge, I'm the first FULL TIME roller derby coach.


This was not a sudden decision. I spent years coaching for free. And sharing information with people, and gaining experience.


And surviving all the slings and arrows that came with running a league for too many years in a row and getting to know the ins and outs of every aspect of this sport.

And training my goddamn ass off!

photo credit: Timothy Tolle

So... you could say I've paid a lot of dues to get to this current occupation.

And yeah, I have a lot to give. When I'm hired or inspired to give, I give freely. But... how much is reasonable to take?


Sometimes you just need advice. Or to be pointed in the right direction. Or you have something to offer in exchange for whatever you're asking for.

That is totally cool.


What's not cool is asking me: 

I'm running out of ideas for drills, can you give me some?

Can you tell me what books to read to be a better coach? I think I saw them on your blog once, but I'm too lazy to find them. What were they?

Can you send me a list of everything you taught at a training camp I couldn't make it to?

Or woman, as the case may be...

LESSON 1: BOUNDARIES 

I will help you but only enough to help yourself. 

The rest... well, the rest you have to pay for. A woman's gotta make a living. And when I'm "on the clock" I hold nothing back!



LESSON 2: SELF-RELIANCE

Be your own greatest coach. 
Be resourceful.
Learn as much from your own research and inspiration as you get from other sources.
Understand the difference between asking for advice and draining the well.


LESSON 3: INSPIRATION

I'm inspired by things that have nothing to do with roller derby, and find ways to bring it all back. You can be too. 

For example, I learned about having a good mental game from this Jay Z video:



Which isn't necessarily screaming: roller derby wisdom

Unless that's what your focus is on finding in every day stuff. Which I always am.

like... a giraffe?

I figured out how to coach jumping by watching this video over and over again. Which I was doing anyways, because I like it:


LESSON 4: EDUCATION

There is a Sports section of your local book store. It has books in it written by coaches. There are also books specifically about women's sports. There is something to learn from every one of them.



Check out your local video store and get EVERY sports movie with the review "INSPIRING!" on it. Get any documentary on any subject that involves teaching or coaching of any sport!

Ask yourself: how can I relate this to roller derby? 
Is there a lesson for me here, as a coach?
I found all kinds of inspiration reading Monica Seles' story. And she played tennis!


Think about the worst coach you've ever observed in pro sports, or had when you were a kid... Analyze them: why did they suck so bad? What mistakes don't need repeating?

5) RESOURCES: 









And that should be plenty of words for one blog! (<---- still a weird word to me!)

In Part 2 I'll share my philosophy on the Coaching itself, for coaches. 


As for now, you have an amazing-resourceful-self-reliant-inspiring-magical RAD day today!!!

Here are my parting gifts to you!









For more info on my coaching and background, CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment