Thursday, June 30, 2011

Roller Derby Coach Coaching: PART THREE

Coach Coaching Disclaimer:

Roller derby's still a new sport. So, while I do have certain "rules" for myself, I also leave room for evolving out of them. 

As far as I'm concerned, there's no "always" and no "never" about anything. "Right" and "wrong" are also subject to evolution, over time. Put simply: keep an open mind.


Another part of my philosophy on coaching is this: Assume everyone in the room has ADD.

who's ready for this to make a comeback!

Now, I don't mean to offend anyone with that statement.

Not to get to too politicky on you, but I don't even believe in "ADD" as a "learning disorder."


Because... when an entire generation's got it... Well, I guess that's not a disorder anymore, is it? It's just the way things freakin are!


So... I remind myself, when coaching:

Think about how short your attention span is, and how much blah blah blahing you yourself can handle before it's time to look at shiny things... 

And try to keep that in perspective.


 In coaching, I feel it's important to keep things moving:

Say a little, do a little. Do something else, elaborate a little more, do something else, switch back to the first thing. Not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.


Think about the complexity and intensity of the game: offense, defense, and point scoring are all happening at exactly the same time!

So the people that play this sport... well... they're smart! With quick brains that need constant stimulation.

photo blame: Rinkrat
Basically, the sport is complex. So are the players, so should be practice.

That said, breaking it down into bites at a time, building up in complexity as things move along, and ending with something very complex seems to work for me.

Try it, and let me know how that works for you. I'm not giving out any fish today... just telling you how I fish.

Even though though that's a weird analogy for me. Being a vegetarian and all. 


Part 4 is coming soon...

Have a megolific supercalifragilistic RAD day today!


My parting gifts to you:


No comments:

Post a Comment