Saturday, May 1, 2010

Today's Demo Update! Ian McFerrin

Hello everyone,

The 1st May 2010 London demo to raise awareness for the Hollie Greig scandal went very well. As we were waiting for the rest of the supporters turned up I had the chance to meet Brian Haw - A GREAT MAN! (http://www.parliament-square.org.uk/) I had only been there a few minutes when I witnessed the police drive up in front of Brian, with lights flashing, because one of his helpers had written on the floor in front of his patch. Take a look at the photo I took after to see what she wrote... it was "A child is a child, precious". Apparently, this justified an emergency response! British police force, you are PATHETIC!!! Have the police got nothing better to do than to harass an innocent men and the women who wrote a few 'factual' words in chalk?

After the Hollie Greig group had gathered, we started to split up, took placards and loads of leaflets each and began to tell people about the facts to do with this case. I met some interesting and very supportive people, some of whom stopped to chat a while and share their own experiences with me. Even those who didn't take leaflets smiled and nodded in agreement towards me when they read the placard I was holding as I stood directly outside the Houses of Parliament. Strangely, while I was standing there (with permission from the police) two men came out of the Houses of Parliament, with cameras, looking like they were trying to wear civilian clothing (I have never seen anyone 'trying' to look like a civilian before but these guys were just so obvious). They stood nearby me, glancing at me from time to time. Then, when they thought I wasn't looking their way, they took quick photos of me and the placard. As they walked back pass me, I smiled and offered them a leaflet... they both refused.

As time went on, an anti-capitalism group of around 150 people turned up and began to stop the traffic and make a huge amount of noise... which helped us get even more attention! We started running out of leaflets but luckily someone turned up in the nick of time with another 500 so we could keep going. Two of the anti-capitalism men got naked and climbed a tree, which was... em... interesting. He-he-he. Strange isn't it, 100% nudity in a public place provokes no reaction from the police. An anti war demonstrator - who beat the Government twice in Court - gets a flashing light response from the police for nothing more than a few simple words written in chalk. It just goes to show you that the pen (or lump of chalk) is indeed mightier than the sword.

Photographers were present but I saw none with "Press" badges. There were also no official TV crews. SHAME ON THE BRITISH MEDIA!
SHAME!!!

However, all in all it was a very worth while day. I even managed to give out two leaflets to a police woman who seem to know a bit about the Hollie Greig case!!! Thank you to that lady!

I hope the Scottish demo went as well. As someone mentioned to me while we were preparing, this is just the start. Once the election is over the Justice for Hollie machines picks up the pace for real!!!

Feel free to circulate these photos far and wide.

Ian McFerran, London - UK



8 Attached Images







No comments:

Post a Comment