Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What Samuel L. Jackson Taught Me About Roller Derby

For a college drop out, I can be very studious. I like to read. I love to learn.

Just not in a classroom! 

So as soon as I realized founding this league actually meant running a business, I started studying successful people. 

Not my favorite business by any means, but...
Because if you're gonna pour your heart into something, it might as well be successful. And if there are successful people telling their stories, then there's probably a lot to be learned from them.


And when I found myself in the role of... sports coach... I soothed the panic in my soul by devouring anything I could get my hands on about coaching. 

Books, movies, videos, you name it.
I think it was Matt who told me about this one:



So I checked it out and was like.... Damn, Sam Jackson... you have taught me things!


In the movie, Coach Carter takes a losing team and turns them into winners by encouraging them to be better people. 

To speak to each other with the highest respect, and to have an ethic that carries them, in and out of the game. This way they would elevate each other to their highest potential as a team. 

And as people who can make things happen in society.


I had never thought about things this way before....

But I was thinking about it now! You'll have to see this movie to get what it's about.


I really took it to heart and tried to bring this back to my league; encouraging skaters to refer to each other as "women" instead of "girls."



You could call that being picky with semantics (which I admit, I happen to be.) Or you could think of it as elevating your fellow skaters to their highest potential.


That's one thing I took from it, anyways. Also, this quote from the movie really helped fashion my work ethic at practice:

"When we step on the floor every second that clock is ticking..." — Coach Ken Carter8

There are so many more professional athlete and coach biographies that I've read, documentaries watched, and websites referenced that have had profound effects on me as coach....

But this Hollywood movie was the first. And it was about a sport I've never played.

Go figure!


Have a super-awesomely-elevated-to-it's-highest-potential rad day today!!!

My parting gifts:



No comments:

Post a Comment