Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lab work

I sure got sidetracked this week working on things in the lab unrelated to instant negatives. I did however refix a less than cleared negative that was originally processed in reagent A3 and managed to dissolve out some additional unexposed silver. This once again underlined to me the important double role that a nucleating receiver layer plays in the overall production of a well processed stable and cleared negative.

No further information on production of receiver paper has shown up in my email as I had hoped. There are dozens of patents and each have another dozen formulas, none that look simple. Yet there is that nagging feeling that it is really very easy, if you have experience. Before I venture off in the dark in that area I will wait just a little longer and see who, and what, show up. It would be very helpful if you could please ask your friends who might have "the knowledge" of receiver paper, while I refine the reagent.

Actually, I am pretty sure about the reagent and the emulsion, already! Getting the reagent onto the emulsion, neatly, might require the familiar pod approach, which I admit I am less well schooled. But 20 X 24 does it with their reagent, so perhaps a field trip to look at it might be in order.

In the meantime, using quite a lot of Fuji FP-100C45 to document inventions at the lab, and paste into the notebook, just like we did in the old days. The colors from the Fuji instant seem to astonish people who I show my lab notebook to. I got wows all around today.

No comments:

Post a Comment